Monday, February 7, 2011

July 2010: Berlin on Summer 2010

On 25 August 2010, I visited Berlin. I would spend my time in Berlin until 31 August. I decided to come to this country because it would be cheaper if I had flight from Istanbul to Berlin then from Istanbul to Vienna. I also had friend in Berlin so I didn’t have to pay for accommodation. I booked the flight from Istanbul to Berlin about 70 euros one way . I will go to Vienna for conference (Muslim jewish Conference 2010) by train. My flight was on mid night at 11.30 pm from Istanbul and arrived at 2 am in Berlin. That day was very hard for me. İ should said good bye to my AIESEC friends, I spent time with them for 1 month and they were my new family, and I also should make a paper about Islamophobia and Anti-Semitism that I had to submit it on that day or the chair would replace me with someone else. I haven’t packed all my stuff and I didn’t know how to go to airport (Sabiha Token Airport) from Yeditepe University (my place) but still I tried not to care, I was still busy with my paper. And also I didn’t know who will pick up me from Berlin airport at 3 am to my friend’s place. Thanks god, technology helped me. My friend in Indonesia (resty, I love you) tweets about my journey to Berlin from twitter and her friend in Berlin (ichsan) read it and offered me help to pick up me in airport.

So at 3 am, Ichsan picked up me from airport with his germanian friend and he drove car :) so I didn’t spent money for transportation from airport (lucky again ). On the first day in Berlin, I stayed in Ichsan's flat and ate Indomie hehehe (Ichsan, I love youuu..I really missed INDOMIE because almost 1,5 months I didn’t get it in turkey). Then on afternoon we woke up coz we slept on the morning, I bought a one day ticket for transportation around 6 euro in the station (Ichsan helped me so much, don’t forget to bring ur pasport) and then me and ichsan went to many places such as brandenburger tor, altes museum, poztdamerplatz, bundeskanzleramt and we bought pizza in zoo station (3 euro). I also knew if I bought the mineral water in Berlin I could get my money back around 50 cent euro if I returned the bottle. I had a trick to save my money in Germany, I brought water with my bottle (refilled it) or if it was empty I went to toilet to refill it :) hehehe come one I was a budget traveler.

I spent almost 7 days in Berlin. I stayed in June's place (my friend from Indonesia). I missed You, June!! We hang out together or sometimes I went around by myself because he was busy with his course. I bought ticket for 1 week (Tage Karte) around 22 euros so I could use any transportations in Berlin (S bahn, U bahn, public Bus). Berlin city centre was not difficult to travel alone. I had map but the difficult was I could not make a difference which one tourist or the local if I got lost and want to ask somebody. Sometimes I asked direction to go somewhere but they didn’t know it because they were also tourists. But most of them tried to help me. İ visited many places by myself, if I got lost I always back to Berlin haubanhof because I understand that place already. İ visited poztdamerplatz and sat in the grass. Writing my diary and sometimes bought an ice cream. The weather was good at the time. I felt SUMMER.

Maybe I just spent 100 euro in Berlin for 1 week (excluding flight), I didn’t spent much money. I just spent for bought many postcards and some souvenirs, ice cream, transportation ticket, and food. Sometimes I ate in my friend's place. We cooked together (chicken, rice, sambal, vegetables), so I didn’t spent for that food. If I bought in a restaurant maybe it was 7 euro cause it was Indonesian food and Indonesian food was very expensive in Berlin.

On the last night, I tried nightlife of Berlin with my friend, June. We went to Bar 25(entrance fee=10 euro), my friend told me it was the famous one and we could find it in lonely planet book. We arrived very soon; it was about 11 pm so not much people at that time. The Bar was very cool, there were 4 djs in the difference area and also they played different music so I could choose what I want. I choose the techno one coz the beat is the fastest then the other one. It was a great experience for me. We party hard even no alcohol for me. Maybe I just the only person who didn’t drunk at that time but people thought I was drunk. We enjoyed the party until 8 am and a lot of experience that ı got in that party. We came back to June’s place on the morning and at 12 pm I came to Ichsan place for taking my stuff and I ate Indonesian food again in his place :) . At 3 pm I went back to June’s place and packed my stuff and I went to station (Berlin hautbanhouf, I forgot how to write it heheh) by myself.

My train to Vienna came at 7 pm so I have to move from June's place at 5 pm. actually the validity of my tage karte still available for 3 days. I tried to give to anyone but they rejected. I asked 7 people but they didn’t want to take it. I gave up, ı just tried to be nice because I don’t want wasted my money, but no one wanted it. I kept my weekly ticket. I booked ticket from Berlin to Vienna around 50 euros. İ was so sleepy coz not sleep enough. And actually, at the time I don’t know how to go to Vienna by train hehehe. I said to myself, everything would be all right even I would lost in Vienna  . Let’s to get lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment